Japanese Curry Soba Noodles
- Dashi broth (combine and bring to a boil):
- 1 sachet (5g each) instant dashi stock granules (dashi-no-moto)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3.5oz packet S&B Japanese curry mix
- 2 onions, 1 chopped and 1 cut into wedges
- 600g chicken thigh fillets, cut into cubes
- 1/2 red apple, finely diced or grated (optional)
- 2 cups water (add more later if necessary)
- 1-2 carrots
- 1-2 potatoes
- 1 small capsicum (optional)
- 1 tbsp honey
- Soba (buckwheat) noodles (or substitute with udon)
- Chopped spring onions
- Heat up oil in a large pan and fry onions and chicken.
- After chicken is browned, add diced apple and fry for a minute before adding water and carrots. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add honey, potatoes and capsicum and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through.
- Break up the curry cubes and add to the pan.
- Stir until melted and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the bottom from burning. Add more water if desired to adjust the consistency of the curry.
- Cook the soba noodles in rolling boiling water for 3 minutes or until cooked (follow packet instructions).
- Transfer into a bowl and ladle some dashi broth over it.
- Ladle an equal amount of curry into the bowl. Garnish with spring onions and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Ajinomoto